Well, preparations for our voyage have gone as well as could be expected. We should be ready to embark with the week.
As expected, we received an invitation from our patrons— House Achtenbrau—to one of their social events. I suspected they both wanted to show off their latest Rogue Trader contract and scrutinize us in person, a suspicion which was largely born out. It was an excellent opportunity to make a bit of an impact on Calixus nobility, and begin to cultivate the foppish image I hope to establish for “Darian Cuddio”. Knowing such a facade will close as many doors as it opens, I invited Muirenn and Katyaina along to provide a more grounded presence for the dynasty, in contrast to the foppish image I will be cultivating. Hopefully their competence and seriousness will alleviate any fears our partners may have.
I had our senchal look over our meagre inventories and select the most impressive/least dangerous of the treasures of the expanse remaining, and presented them as a gift and proof the profits to come, hopefully causing a bit of a stir among the nobility, and spreading our name a bit.
Happily, we were contacted by several parties interested in contracting our services.
Katyaina got some interesting information about a dispute over a mining outpost on Mynov. The Disciples of Thule have apparently shown up and are threatening their claim. This raises several interesting questions. What are they mining there? They claim it is simply industrial metals, but you certainly don’t have to risk the Koronus Passage to find a wealth of common metals. I suspect either they have found something far more valuable (and thus worth the dangerous transport voyage), or they are using the materials to support some other project in the Koronus Expanse, actually allowing them to avoid such a perilous journey. Secondly, which Rogue Trader made the claim (if any), and why aren’t they defending it? If there is no formal claim, or the dynasty is unfit/unable to defend it, perhaps we can arrange to take over as official patron, thus providing a level of legal/practical protection they obviously lack.
Brother Sigvard contacted us, representing the Fjostheim Brethren, and seeking passage into the expanse, to the world of Aidalof. While we aren’t going to the same destination he is, we agreed to take him as far as Footfall and arrange passage from there. In exchange he has provided his brotherhood’s official blessing and sanction of our voyage, which should help morale. Our Senchal will also be broadcasting this fact through all appropriate channels, hopefully bringing positive attention to our endeavor.
One Ador Corphus contacted Muirenn, requesting our intervention at a research facility. He was apparently annoyingly vague about the nature of the problem, the reward, and his own affiliations. Not the most tempting of proposals, honestly. Personally, the idea of entering unknown, but certain danger for an unknown, uncertain reward is less than appealing. After discussing things with the command crew I think we’ll let him stew. If it is truly a desperate situation he can offer something more concrete. If it’s a con, or wild targ chase, he can look for other suckers.
High Factotum Marsdale has also requested that we escort a vessel to a minor mining outpost. Though it isn’t exactly on the way, I think we should be able to escort them as far as footfall and negotiate an escort the rest of the way.
- Make contact with House Achtenbrau
- Make an impression with the Calixus nobility
- Make contact with a faction of The Ecclesiarchy and get their formal blessing
- Gain intelligence of the Koronus Expanse in order to set an initial destination
- Purchase a load of High Provender for sale and use at Footfall. The high society there are obsessed with the trappings of nobility, and should pay a premium for some ACTUAL delicacies. Also, we can use it to ramp up the quality of the gala’s we will be throwing at Port Wander and Footfall.
- Contact the Disciples of Thule and attempt to formalize an arrangement for negotiating The Mynov Dispute, as well as establish rights to technological finds.
- Contact representatives of the Imperial Navy at Port Wander to formalize a relationship. They pay well for scouting the expanse, and since we are going to be doing it anyways, we may as well get paid for it. Possibly get some munitions.
- Get some muscle. Possibly heavy combat servitors from the Mechanus, or something more exotic from the Tutors at The Red Schola to see about getting some muscle.
- Escort to Footfall and then arrange passage for Brother Sigvard and his missionaries
- Get some plasma weaponry and flamers